Hola<code/> - Hacker in Residence
CDMX, January, 2018
Hola<code/> is a 5-month software engineering coding bootcamp education program based in Mexico City focused on providing better job placement opportunities and social mobility to returning migrants to Mexico.
At Hola<code/> we believe that young people have the right to meaningful education, decent work, gender equality and income security. However, since 2005 around 500,000 young people between the ages of 18-35 have returned to Mexico from the United States. It is estimated that around 75% of them are unable to find formal employment. The premise for the next 4 years: + deportations. Those who are able to find jobs are exposed to different forms of abuse, lack of social or income security and unsafe working conditions at alarming rates.They are likely to join the 1.2 million young women and men in Mexico who face the job search every year without support networks and recognition of prior studies.
At the same time the tech and software development sectors in Mexico are experiencing growth at an unprecedented pace. Currently the demand of human capital in the sector has grown above the national supply. In partnership with Hack Reactor, we have designed an immersive people-centred programme, in which we provide technical and soft skills for life. We support students’ path so they can access employment with career-growth opportunities, secure income, social benefits and gender equality in the tech sector. We believe that through dignified employment, young women and men can hack a better future for themselves and their families.
What were looking for:
- Node/Express or equivalent server script experience.
- At least one Database experience(e.g MySQL, postgres).
- Good to have: Concepts of Data Structure and Recursion.
- Good to have: MongoDB, Deployment.
- Empathy and charisma.
- Passion for education for social goals.
- Hands-on attitude and a sense of humor.
- Willing and humble
What You'll Do:
- Help desk, support students with technical questions during help desk hours.
- Identify learning barriers and communicate them to mentors and counselor.
- Accurately, consistently, and proactively ensure student success and encourage autonomous learning.
- Proactively track & communicate student progress using program workflow, including feedback, and modeling successful behavior.
- Ensure students are technically prepared for the job search.
- Give curriculum feedback to the instructional team.
- Collaboration: Work alongside program staff in providing prompt feedback on student progress and serve as technical partner to all other departments that ensure job search success.
- Based in Mexico City, Mexico
- Spanish is not required
- 4-month contract
- Use your skills to support access to social mobility for a large underserved community in Mexico- Support the first stages of an emerging social enterprise in Mexico City- Inspiring workplace and motivated colleagues- Awesome office location in Mexico City (WeWork Insurgentes)
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or netflix preferences (zero spoiler tolerance).