Impact Venture Builder and Co-founderMexico City, September 2018
Connovo is the first impact venture builder in Mexico. Our mission is to build high impact education companies to create a more equitable, inclusive and prosperous Mexico in which we all have access to quality opportunities.
As a venture builder, Connovo creates companies with high potential of impact, scale and profitability. However, instead of building them from scratch, we leverage successful experiences in other parts of the world that can be adapted and adopted in a context such as Mexico.
Mexico ranks last in education among the 35 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. Mexican children leave school with the worst literacy, maths and science skills, with around half failing to meet the most basic standards. The poorest children in Vietnam outperform the most privileged in Mexico.
Mexico is amongst the countries with the highest levels of inequality in the world and is one of the two most unequal countries in the OECD. 1% of its population receives 21% of the country's total income. Where people live in the poorest conditions, the education always arrives last and is the poorest in every aspect which means inequality is perpetuated.
The problem starts from early years where only 6% of children between 1 to 5 years old receive formal care or education –this years are the foundation that shapes children's future health, development and learning achievement at school, in the family and community, and in life in general– and this translates into fewer opportunities for the youth –where “ninis” (young people between 15 - 24 years old) represent 48.3% of the total unemployment in Mexico– that is desperately looking for economic mobility.
The search for more effective and efficient solutions to these challenges has become a priority in the social agenda. However, as a sector we continue to invest a large amount of resources in, unfortunately, reinventing the wheel. We strongly believe that the solutions to the most pressing social problems do not need to be invented they already exist and our job is to find them and provide them with the necessary resources so they can be adapted and adopted in other contexts.
The opportunity: Be a founder and build with us!
This is a powerful opportunity for a top leading entrepreneur with a deep interest in social innovation and eager to build and scale with us a social venture with the potential to solve one of the most critical problems within the education sector. A successful candidate will have incredible analytical skills, enormous ability to solve problems and make things happen and the passion to lead the company and team to reach their full potential.
As a Impact Venture Builder and Co-founder you will have the opportunity to:
- Build a high impact scalable education ventures for low income people in Mexico.
- Be part of one of the most talented communities of social innovation in Mexico.
- Take advantage of our proven replication methodology to reduce risks and maximize odds of success.
- Work together a strong and experienced team that already had success in a similar endeavor.
- Stop thinking about a more meaningful career and actually build it.
The Impact Venture Builder and Co-founder should exhibit the following experience and skills:
- +8 years of significant experience (management, investment banking, business consulting, entrepreneurship, impact investing or a related area).
- Significant experience executing defined strategies for different areas of a business.
- Experience in handling extremely complex business as well as comfort working under uncertainty.
- Considerable experience building and leading multi-disciplinary teams with a proven track record of delegation, motivation and empowerment.
- Experience in successfully initiating new structures and processes.
- Enthusiastic and optimistic who deeply believes that social entrepreneurship and education can change the world.
- Exceptional business acumen and ambition to build an incredible impactful organization.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as cultural awareness and sensitivity, in order to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Clear rolling-up-your-sleeves attitude.
- Flexible, quick thinking and learning mindset.
- Proven ability to develop and set direction as well as implement change.
- Empathetic and resilient mainly when everything seems to be going against.
- Committed to make Mexico a home for many years.
- Fluency in English and Spanish.
In Connovo, we look for the best talent with a deep desire to build things that generate a real change in the world. People eager to work with like-minded and hard working entrepreneurs. We are convinced about the power of togetherness, which is our secret sauce for success (and fun!)
Our commitment to you is to provide:
- An incomparable experience of learning, growth and life!
- A unique opportunity to put your skills at the service of real solutions to the most critical problems of the education sector in Mexico.
- Join a funded startup with a powerful network of potential investors.
- Competitive startup salary and a significant stake in the venture.
- An inspiring team of experts ready to work hand in hand with you mitigate some of the biggest challenges related with starting and growing a business.
- Autonomy, freedom to execute, flexible vacation policy (organize your work and take a break when you need it).
The position will require domestic and international travel. If you think you have what it takes to be part of the success of an incredibly challenging startup with the potential to provide a sustainable solution to one the most critical problems in the education sector in Mexico please apply. Applications are considered on a rolling basis. For questions, please contact email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.