Impact Venture Builder and Co-founderMexico City, November 2018
Connovo is the first impact venture builder in Mexico. Our mission is to build high impact education companies to create a more equitable, inclusive and prosperous Mexico in which we all have access to quality opportunities.
As a venture builder, Connovo creates companies with high potential of impact, scale and profitability. However, instead of building them from scratch, we leverage successful experiences in other parts of the world that can be adapted and adopted in a context such as Mexico.
Mexico ranks last in education among the 35 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries. Mexican children leave school with the worst literacy, maths and science skills, with around half failing to meet the most basic standards. The poorest children in Vietnam outperform the most privileged in Mexico.
Mexico is amongst the countries with the highest levels of inequality in the world and is one of the two most unequal countries in the OECD 1% of its population receives 21% of the country's total income. Where people live in the poorest conditions, the education always arrives last and is the poorest in every aspect which means inequality is perpetuated.
In México, the youth have been facing plenty of difficulties in finding work or accessing University. A large number of these young people who have had their future canceled needed to migrate to the other side of the border or have been forced to choose the path of antisocial behavior, thus creating a favorable scenario for an increase of violence. Mexico continues to be among the OECD countries with the highest proportions of young people who do not work, study, or receive training representing 22% of the young population, much higher than the average of 15% in the OECD. “Ninis” (young people between 15 - 24 years old) accounts for the 48.3% of the total unemployment and more than 87% of them are facing poverty (extreme and moderate). In addition, there is a large gender gap since young women are three times more likely to be unemployed, study, or receive training than men. (OECD, 2016).
On one hand, University spaces have structural filters that make very difficult for them to address the actual demand. On the other hand, the high rates of youth unemployment are attributed to the lack of effective intermediation and professional experience. At the end, this translates into fewer opportunities for the youth that is desperately looking for economic mobility.
The search for more effective and efficient solutions to critical challenges like this one has become a priority in the social agenda. However, as a sector we continue to invest a large amount of resources in, unfortunately, reinventing the wheel. We strongly believe that the solutions to the most pressing social problems do not need to be invented they already exist and our job is to find them and provide them with the necessary resources so they can be adapted and adopted in other contexts.
The opportunity: Be a founder and build with us!
This is a powerful opportunity for a top leading entrepreneur with a deep interest in social innovation and eager to build and scale with us a social venture with the potential to solve one of the most critical problems in Mexico: Increase access to quality opportunities for the youth. A successful candidate will have incredible analytical skills, enormous ability to solve problems and make things happen and the passion to lead the company and team to reach their full potential.
As an Impact Venture Builder and Co-founder you will have the opportunity to:
- Build a high impact scalable venture to increase employability (at the crossroads between education and access to quality jobs) for low income young people in Mexico.
- Take advantage of our proven replication methodology to reduce risks and maximize odds of success.
- Work together a strong and experienced team that already had success in a similar endeavor.
- Be part of one of the most talented communities of social innovation in Mexico.
- Stop thinking about a more meaningful career and actually build it.
The Impact Venture Builder and Co-founder should exhibit the following experience and skills:
- +8 years of significant experience (management, investment banking, business consulting, entrepreneurship, impact investing or a related area).
- Significant experience executing defined strategies for different areas of a business.
- Experience in handling extremely complex business as well as comfort working under uncertainty.
- Considerable experience building and leading multi-disciplinary teams with a proven track record of delegation, motivation and empowerment.
- Experience in successfully initiating new structures and processes.
- Enthusiastic and optimistic who deeply believes that social entrepreneurship can change the world.
- Passionate about the challenge that represents building a solution focused on increasing access to quality opportunities for the youth.
- Exceptional business acumen and ambition to build an incredible impactful organization.
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as cultural awareness and sensitivity, in order to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Clear rolling-up-your-sleeves attitude.
- Flexible, quick thinking and learning mindset.
- Proven ability to develop and set direction as well as implement change.
- Empathetic and resilient mainly when everything seems to be going against.
- Committed to make Mexico a home for many years.
- Fluency in English and Spanish.
In Connovo, we look for the best talent with a deep desire to build things that generate a real change in the world. People eager to work with like-minded and hard working entrepreneurs. We are convinced about the power of togetherness, which is our secret sauce for success (and fun!)
Our commitment to you is to provide:
- An incomparable experience of learning, growth and life!
- A unique opportunity to put your skills at the service of real solutions to the most critical problems in Mexico.
- Join a funded startup with a powerful network of potential investors.
- Competitive startup salary and a significant stake in the venture.
- An inspiring team of experts ready to work hand in hand with you mitigate some of the biggest challenges related with starting and growing a business.
- Autonomy, freedom to execute, flexible vacation policy (organize your work and take a break when you need it).
The position will require domestic and international travel. If you think you have what it takes to be part of the success of an incredibly challenging startup with the potential to provide a sustainable solution to one the most critical problems in the education sector in Mexico please apply. Applications are considered on a rolling basis. For questions, please contact email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.